His Grace, The Archbishop Most Rev J.C. McQuaid solemnly blessed the building site and laid the foundation stone of this church on the 24th October 1954.
The Late Venerable Archdeacon Hickey P.P. with special permission and facilities from the Archbishop blessed the bell of the church of the 23rd October 1955.
This church was opened and blessed under the title "The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary" by the Most Reverend J.C. McQuaid the Archbishop on 26th October 1956.
Canon Flood was the first Parish Priest here when Walkinstown became a parish in its own right in 1964.